FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: 2017 HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance
Old Jan 24, 2017, 1:11 pm
usafltg

Or if you're as crazy as I am, consider flying into a European city that AA serves, and then double-connect through LHR on BA at no extra mileage cost. You will need to pay around $100-200 in fees (fuel surcharges and UK passenger service fee) for the BA flights, which may actually outweigh the cost of a separate, paid ticket to KBP. That said, one has the peace of mind knowing that all flights are on the same ticket (and in J too if that matters). You won't need to pay the outrageous $500+ fuel surcharges for a long-haul BA flight.
Hmmm I guess i'm confused as to what this "double connection is all about". I pretty much "never" use miles to go anywhere, because in order to to requal for EXP every year, I pretty much have to be on all paid tickets. I'm sure I can get him on one AWARD from ORD-LHR direct on AA Metal. But the only OneWorld Carrier that serves KBP is BA. So how do I get him out of LHR to KBP without having to pay ridiculous fees and costs?

The only AAdvantage partner that flies to KBP is BA, so unless you have miles in some other program (or points that can be converted to miles in some other program), routing via LON is required.

If you can find SAAver space on AA metal between the U.S. and LHR, fees will be substantially less. Remember that connections of up to 24 hours are permitted on international awards.
I'm not really sure what "remembering that connections of up to 24 hours are permitted" really means.

Would it be possible to provide me a couple of examples of how I might go about this? Again... I'm trying to help a friend out here as best as I can.