FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Como Treasury Perth, Australia : anyone been?
Old Jan 24, 2017, 12:13 am
mczlaw

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Just returned stateside after five nights at Como The Treasury, Perth.

My room, an 80sqm open floor plan studio suite was plenty large for one (probably for two), king bed comfortable and well appointed in light woods and fabrics. Huge shower compartment in large bathroom, with switch-operated heated floor placed behind a 3/4 wall behind the bedroom. A bit odd, but functional. Tech was average, including switch-operated sheer and (more-or-less) blackout window coverings, but no universal plug receptacles (so bring those adapters). As a computer geek, I was disappointed that there was no desk, so my "work station" was a coffee table adjacent to the couch. Would also have appreciated a Japanese-style toilet, but dream on I guess. Both coffee and tea maker en suite, with good tea. A small assortment of soft drinks were included. Excellent views through ample windows on a corner. No upgrade offered, none requested at checkin. Never made it down for included breakfast on Virtuoso package.

Staff was very friendly and accommodating, though as mentioned upthread, a little polish for some might be useful. GM seemed like a real dynamo, though she only introduced herself once and I felt no need to call on her further.

In-house Long Chim Thai restaurant (by David Thompson of Nahm fame) was great and readily accessed as guest of hotel. Wildflower a seasonal/local focused menu on the top (4th) floor was excellent as well, mostly staffed by young, but very polished French servers. I found food and service to be far superior here to the much more highly touted, of-the-moment local favorite, Restaurant Amuse.

Location in the heart of the CBD, a block from the pedestrian-only shopping strip along Hay Street couldn't be beat.

Still not sure I'd call this hotel "luxury" in the classic sense. No grand lobby (hell, no check-in or concierge or any other lobby desks) at all, just a person with a computer perched atop a buffet table. My sense would be to characterize this as a luxurious boutique hotel, though I would recommend it highly with that qualification.

Note that a new Ritz-Carlton hotel and residences is under construction as is IHG property and at least one other nearby. I adored Perth and wouldn't hesitate to spend a few months at a time there as a spot to while away the northern winter. It's a bit bigger than Portland, with seemingly superior cultural amenities (Springsteen was about to play a three-night stand the night after I left) and the most wonderful clean, white-sand, uncrowded beaches within a 15-30 minute drive. Nearby Fremantle did nothing for me, with lots of tacky tourist stuff and an abundance of shuttered storefronts.

Weather was in the low to mid 80s which I'm told was cool for this time of the year. Breezes pick up in the afternoon, one day becoming very fresh and cool to the extent I actually pulled out a wind breaker. All for now. A little jet lag kicking in...

--mcz

Last edited by mczlaw; Jan 24, 2017 at 11:53 pm