FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Credit Card Asiamiles Churning and Welcome Offers discussion (HK) - continuously upda
Old Jan 23, 2017, 9:08 pm
Rhymebroker

Programs: Hyatt Gold Passport Diamond / *A Gold / NH Platinum / Super Flyers
Originally Posted by percysmith
Hope you're feeling better and will be out of it by CNY

Ugghh CX is terribly mean on Japan these days. Three of us were watching 23/12/18 HKG-NGO/KIX-TYO availability on 28/12/17 (we also trade iPhones). 08:00:01 comes around and we all explode into a a bunch of expletives - CX has released exactly 0 seats direct (some via TPE, Business for 50,000)
That kind of ticket I'd value at HK$3,000

So you're realising HK$0.06/AM

You earn:
$5/AM generally
$4/AM on food/overseas
$3/AM on supermarket/dept store/telecom/online/paywave

So that translates roughly to:
1.2%
1.5%
2%

JAL isn't much better on holidays in my experience

ANA releases afternoon Japan-bound flights/morning flights from Japan - obviously second pickings.
But they do release at least two seats in Economy for 23,000 miles for Christmas. $3,000/23,000 = $0.13/ANA mile

But ANA can only be earned in HK for $8/mile
1.6% - but to its credit this is for everything

- I still keep a ANA JCB Superflyers card which earns me decent points, so I guess I will focus on ANA for flying back to Japan.

I just done some 2017 updates for the other list I maintain http://forum.hongkongcard.com/forumSE/show/4979?page=27 - what if you don't want miles. The comparative rates for obtaining cash rebate or supermarket coupon directly are:

1%
2.4%
2%

I don't see an obvious case for your accumulation of miles over cash rebate. Perhaps you value redemption tickets more favourably than me.
- Thanks for your updated list at hongkongcard.com. At first glance, cards like the DBS Eminent sound amazing with their 6.44% rebate, but the cap of $5000 is so miserly ($322 in savings) that I'm really not convinced of any worth...