FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SPG Best Rate Guarantee (BRG) 2017: Success, failure & discussion thread
Old Jan 23, 2017, 2:17 pm
joakgarp

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Originally Posted by travelswithmyself
Well, I wouldn't say that the 3rd party exists to offer lower rates - they exist because they want to make money selling tours hotels and flights to us!

And yes, that's why SPG and the others started the BRG programmes. To bring the $$$ back to themselves, and penalise the hotels for selling cheap rates to the 3rd parties.

Do the 3rd parties provide competition? Not really. I think the real competition still comes from other chains and hotels. If prices are low it's because another hotel is offering relatively the same product at a better price, not because a 3rd party is selling it for less. Your own experience in JP/KR shows how hard it is to BRG properties there. But the SPG hotel prices remain comparable to similar non-SPG properties, even though there is no "competition from 3rd parties".

Wishful thinking to hope that rates will not eventually be in line across the board, IMO.
Did some further research and found some possible BRG-claims for SPG's hotels in NY and in Bali (where I'm heading to later this year so will give this a try later on). The strict locked rate I've come across in JP/KR was no where to be found at Westin Bali for instance. SPG seems to have a bit stricter rate in JP/KR and more open in some else.