FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SPG Best Rate Guarantee (BRG) 2017: Success, failure & discussion thread
Old Jan 23, 2017, 9:54 am
nacho
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by joakgarp
One of many reasons why I try to stay away from SPGs hotels as much as possible and use them as a last resort. Their BRG-rules are almost or close as bad as Hyatt's. Somehow every 3rd party hotel site has a deal with SPG to always offer the exact same locked rate as SPG's lowest uncancellable rate. It's obvious. Flexible rate could differ but you may not compare SPG's flexible rate with another Flexible rate from a 3rd party.
Been trying to compare SPG hotels from Japan and Seoul. Same exact locked rate everywhere, no matter which month I pick and dates. Experienced the same last summer in Tokyo. Ridiculous and shouldn't be allowed. It's destroying the market.

This is not the case with Marriott. Am afraid Marriott is approaching the same locked rate in the future but I sure hope not.
Tried SPG BRG once, so far so good. Tried Marriott A LOT and it's getting more and more difficult - and they are using all sorts of bogus reasons to deny my claims.

Yes big chains are trying to lock their rate and yes it's destroying the market.