FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The long slow decline of the American mid-range hotel chain
Old Jan 22, 2017, 10:25 am
Carl Johnson

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Low Roller
I'd assume someone could have put something in them (maybe hair remover in the shampoo ). It's irrelevant to me since I always travel with my own products (I have sensitive skin that doesn't always react well to random products found in a hotel room). I agree with the cheap locker room appearance. Then again, all of those little individual plastic bottles does seem terribly wasteful.
Wingtips Lounge at JFK had the wall dispensers the last time I was there, and somebody put something in the soap dispenser. I didn't know what it was at first, but when I looked in the mirror I figured out that it was vanishing cream!

I was just happy that this happened after the Terminal 4 rearrangement and the lounge was airside instead of landside as it had been in the past, and I had already passed the TSA checkpoint. I wouldn't have been able to get past the checkpoint in the state I was in, because it would be impossible for the TSA clerk to check my appearance against my photo ID.

Originally Posted by rendezvous
Ha, you're spot on with Candlewood hotels, as they are flat out terrible. Regarding SBS hotels, you have the love the Tuesday-Thursday happy hour with free food and booze.
How are they "terrible"? I've stayed at a few - most recently 6 years ago, so maybe I'm not up to date. I found them plain, but totally satisfactory, and each time I had a car so that it was easy to get food and things i wanted. I thought everything about them was "OK, not great but OK." The price was right in each case and my judgment would have been different if the price had been higher.

That being said, I'm going to look into SBS based on your evaluation - I didn't know anything about it.

Last edited by Carl Johnson; Jan 22, 2017 at 10:31 am