FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travel with a bicycle on Austrian, Lufthansa or Brussels
Old Jan 21, 2017, 7:12 pm
Grog

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by johnirvine
The information in this thread is now completely out of date. LH allow cycles (not tandems) to be taken as part of one's normal checked luggage. If you are over the limit allowed by your ticket and LH Group or *G status, excess baggage charges apply.
I called just days ago and was given the following LH rule: "Items of baggage that are larger or heavier than the permitted dimensions and weight or that are additional to the free baggage allowance will be carried as excess baggage for a flat fee". (In other words, bike is bigger than suitcase, so it's excess baggage automatically.) Told to look at the following table for pricing:

Bicycle
EUR Charge (continental) 50
USD/CAD Charge (continental) 70
EUR Charge (inter-continental) 100
USD/CAD Charge (inter-continental)150

Notes: a regular bike (no motor / no e-bike) or a special children's trolley to use with a bike or a one-wheel bike.

Based on your post, I called again and spoke with someone else. I was given the same response as above. (Since the bike is oversize, it is charged, even if it's under the limit allowed by the ticket.)

I'm not sure if you're experiencing a more favorable interpretation that LH intended, or if I'm just getting poor information when I call.