FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017-2019
Old Jan 21, 2017, 1:38 pm
pecck

Newbie - did I make a mistake?

6 1/2 months ago I decided to begin taking advantage of the points and applied and receive both the Sapphire Preferred and United Explorer card. I believe I earned both bonuses the next month. As of an hour ago I cancelled the Explorer card and was going to apply for the Sapphire Reserve card at my local branch to get the 100k but in doing my research I read this -

"Chase cardmembers who currently have or have had a Chase credit card in any Rewards Program associated with this offer, may not be eligible for a second Chase credit card in the same Rewards Program. Chase cardmembers currently receiving promotional pricing, or Chase cardmembers with a history of only using their current or prior Chase card for promotional pricing offers, are not eligible for a second Chase credit card with promotional pricing."

If I'm reading this correctly I'm not able to receive the Sapphire Reserve Reward if I still have my Preferred card open. Does this sound correct? If I did cancel the wrong card what would be your expert suggestion on which card to apply for next?

I travel weekly on United if that makes any difference.

Thank you