FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service
Old Jan 21, 2017, 2:32 am
jonas123

Originally Posted by Forever in Seattle
So the crew made 26p each (taking that it was a 3 cc flight) on that flight from BoB? There was a thread a few days before the new short haul era of crew overhead saying the can't wait until the end full service, thinking it was going to be great. I bet they take that back now for all the reasons Secretsquirrel.return has mentioned.

If true the perishable food items have to get binned, plus the costs to transport/store/stock the items on the trolley, the numbers don't add up. All the above can't be covered by £11, and logic says you would have to sell a reasonable high % of your stock to cover the supply costs (In a store you can leave a sandwich on the shelf a day or two, and some supermarkets then discount it to finally shift it - you can't send perishable items out over and over until they sell with this BA supply model, so a much higher % must be getting binned). Someone is loosing money here, and thanks to this messy supply arrangement, it is probably not BA, who are no longer have to pay for the ET food drink they did pre 11 Jan. The crew will be made the scapegoats no doubt. I am sure a BA bean counter than only looks and numbers thinks it is great.
This is of course only 1 flight and I think it was short. There haven't been a huge amount of reviews on the longer sectors so would be interested to see what the take up is when the service beds in. I wouldn't expect a big take on domestic / short routes, but wouldn't be surprised if the longer routes rake in in the hundreds of pounds. 4 of those sectors a day at say £200 takings is £80 commission, or £20 each split between 4. Not ground breaking but that adds up over a month to £240 if you fly 3 days a week (obviously my calculations could be way off the mark!). Adding that to a base of £1000 a month for mixed fleet isn't insignificant