FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service
Old Jan 21, 2017, 1:29 am
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
I was not particularly impresses with the coffee as there was a lot of ground coffee bits in the coffee even after stirring and it was easy to get more in your mouth at the end of the cup.
Originally Posted by ShuttleRunner
- coffee is indeed as stated above much nicer than the old coffee BUT is far too grainy and the filter is not good enough.
Originally Posted by JAXBA
Even through the filter in the lid? You took the lid off, didn't you?
[Note quotes slightly out of sequence]

I was wondering about the lid too. As noted up thread, there's a fine mesh over the lid, and you are supposed not to take the cap off after it is filled with water, and the water isn't supposed to near the mesh until the cap is firmly on. There's a separate window for milk/sugar/stirring.

Two crew gave me detailed instructions about this, which presumably came from experience rather than training. If the water slops over the top of the mesh before closing the two lids (e.g. from the second window) you're at risk of getting a mouthful of grounds which will then stick around the wrong side of the mesh. So it's a bit finicky. Drinking without the cap is definitely going to lead to ingestion of coffee grounds.

There are photos in post 197 and KARFA's photo in post 298 show the mesh quite clearly.

If you like you coffee fairly strong you best ask the crew to fill the water to two thirds and/or leave it for a bit to brew, though it is fairly strong coffee anyway. If you don't want it so strong then you want more water and less time. The BoB menu makes a reference to the mesh but doesn't highlight the importance of careful handling and keeping the cap firmly on.