FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Medical Implants and the TSA
View Single Post
Old Jan 20, 2017, 10:53 pm
fgirard

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Medical Implants and the TSA

I'm not sure if this is a violation, or a TSA operative on a power trip, but,

My mother, who has a implanted defibrillator was flying on B6 on BOS-DFW. At the checkpoint, she identified that she has an implanted medical device and knew that she would be subject to a patdown. However, the TSA operative demanded that they see the registration card, which contains the model number, lot number, serial number and other information for the device. When she questioned it, she was told that, "the TSA needs to verify whether the implant is valid."

It was at this point that someone (I'm not sure it was her) flagged down a Massachusetts State Police officer to help mediate. When the officer showed up, the TSA operative got more demanding and even asked to see the scar. It was at this point that the MSP officer stepped in and advised that the line of questioning was done, and for my mom to be screened, and left alone if she didn't alarm during the patdown.

So, I know it isn't right, but I have a feeling that being a poorly-worded law (the PATRIOT Act), there are loopholes that allow this. So, what should have been the SOP in this situation?