FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A350 general discussion
View Single Post
Old Jan 20, 2017, 8:06 pm
QRC3288

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Such modern plane, modern cabin, modern entertainment... to be let down by unfunctioning fixtures.
Yea, it all seems to be J class problems, which means it's probably all related to the Zodiac issue. I wonder how many of these birds will be plagued by this issue until its resolved. Pretty sure these issues are the crux of CX's well-documented problems with Zodiac.

For some optimism, there is a history of CX rectifying issues like these. With coffin J, the early installs had fabric issues. CX eventually got this right. Later installs came with the improved fabric, and the early installs were eventually replaced. It did take 3-4 years though for all the fabric to be standardized in the newer, more-durable style across the fleet.

There were also smaller issues which were only partially-improved which might not be cause for optimism, like that "lip" which is at the back of the counter-top table in Cirrus J window seats. Count me as someone who has lost stuff into my neighbor's seat behind me. This lip wasn't installed in the earliest Cirrus-equipped 77Ws (called "77D"), and it still isn't. It took until somewhere around registration # B-KPY and KPZ (roughly CX's 25th/26th 77W), when the 77Gs started arriving, before that lip was added. Some of the A333s have it, some don't.

To be fair, the fabric issue was a real flaw and the seats were becoming destroyed quickly. CX did rectify this. Whereas this "lip" is more of an added convenience but not make-or-break.

And remember when CX first put out J class beds in 2007, we had that crappy blanket thing? Within a few years, CX rolled out their current duvet, which I still think is among the best if not the best J class duvet in the sky. So I think we have cause to be optimism if the A359 J seat issue is really serious.

Last edited by QRC3288; Jan 20, 2017 at 8:13 pm Reason: clarify that i didn't lose stuff, but rather it fell into neighbor's seat