FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Airline Pilot Salaries
View Single Post
Old Jul 11, 2000, 11:04 am
Mister Internet

Airline Pilot Salaries

I guess this would be directed at pilots and knowledgeable travelers...

I've been traveling for only a few months, so I know I'm a relative rookie. However, I just thought it would be interesting to find out what salaries for commercial airline pilots are as a general rule. Or maybe there isn't a general rule and certain airlines are more generous than other? Maybe it's none of my business, and I'll accept that as an answer too... I fly UA, so I'd be particularly interested in specific info about United pilots...

In my opinion, pilots earn every penny they make, and I'm generally on their side when they complain about airlines' "planned overtime" policies... anytime you take the lives of several, or up to hundreds, people into your hands knowing they trust you to take them safely to their destination, you assume an awesome resposibility than few of us can identify with.

Anyway, I'm just curious to find out where you start at, how you can move up through the ranks (I'm assuming there are rankings, as I've seen stripes on the shoulders of pilots similar to those used by the military), and possibly even what retirement benefits you can expect... call it appreciative curiosity.

btw, I'm not expecting anyone to give their own personal financial numbers, merely "as a rule" type generalizations.

Mister Internet
===============