FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Basic Economy Fare as of 2017 (also AY, BA, IB), incl. elite benefits (Master thread)
Old Jan 19, 2017, 3:35 pm
pinniped
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Not sure what our booking engine at work (Concur) will do for this stuff?

my guess is that I could make the case that BE + carry on fee + bag fee will be greater than regular Y fare class
We have Concur. I imagine companies can configure this, but when I do a fare search, only "regular" coach fares have a green check-mark next to them indicating "compliant".

I fly a lot of MCI-LGA. I'll sometimes see the Spirit fare there (some stupid low number like $80 R/T), the Southwest and AA fares at $250 or whatever R/T. The WN and AA fares have the green check mark and the Spirit fare says "call us" next to it.

Obviously I'm happy booking AA or WN. They're nonstop and Spirit is a connection. But if I was flying to Detroit and the Spirit fare was the nonstop, I presume I could call, get read a long script about why this fare sucks and I shouldn't buy it, and then get it manually booked if I insist.

The good news is that there's no great conspiracy to force us into these fares: in fact, it's kind of hard to book them. Probably for the exact reason you suggest: if anything at all goes wrong, or if the traveler doesn't know what he/she is doing baggage-wise, they end up being a bad deal.