FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Forums for airports UPDATE 24 Feb: Destination forums now show major airports
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:38 am
chgoeditor
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Generic FRA questions are quickly moved to the Destinations-Germany forum by the LH M&M forum mods. In fact we have quite a few members who are quick to report 'not LH M&M related, remove it asap!!!'.

The baby question is very specific to LH, the DUS security situation maybe not so much.

My point is that the destinations forum is the right home for airport related topics. But if it has a airline (MCT, lounge access etc) or hotel (chain hotels next to LAX/FRA/etc) aspect, then it stays in the respective section.
Originally Posted by aztimm
Similar to what oliver2002 shared about the LH forum, we try to do similar with the AA forum.

We do have specific threads for all of the AA hubs and focus cities, including some that aren't necessarily either but have a great interest (CDG comes to mind). Occasionally the conversation will stray beyond AA, and we allow that to some extent. But when it evolves in a totally separate direction (such as what type of jeep tour for Sedona that began in a thread about PHX), then I'll split it off and move to the appropriate forum.

Also as oliver2002 shared, we have some passionate users who report threads/posts that belong elsewhere. One of us will take a look and see which forum is the best place for the post.

A great example is transiting between NYC airports, for between them and town. I just noticed a thread with someone asking questions about getting between airports last week. I found the appropriate threads in the NYC forum, and referred the user there.

I'd be happy to discuss anything specific to the AA forum, and I'm certain my co-moderators would also.
I do think there's some inconsistency in how this is handled from forum to forum. For example, I think the Southwest forum sees a lot of Midway-specific questions that remain there by virtue of the fact that WN is the predominant carrier there. But that doesn't particularly help someone flying in or out of Midway on Porter, for example, who may not realize that the WN board might be better place to pose MDW questions than the Chicago board.

All of that said, I do not think we need airport-specific boards and would encourage people to post their airport questions in the destination forums.