FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "Migrant teen gangs" at Stockholm central station?
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:35 am
thegrailer

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Resurrecting this thread b/c I'll be in Stockholm this weekend. Last trip in I stayed at the Radisson Blu Waterfront and walked around at night with a Canon 50 and didn't see anything too dodgy (wasn't really paying that much attention since I was by myself). I've also stayed at the Radisson near the train station in OSL and was last week hanging out near the train station in HEL -- neither seemed dodgy to me. I reference these past stays b/c i) these places were noted to be worse than around ARN Central Station, and ii) I am not traveling alone this time and my companion is a lot less forgiving of what might or might not be dodgy. I have traveled to what some would call dodgy cities: GRU, MNL. CAI, etc where out of 60 countries, GIG has been the only place where I have ever feared for my safety. What are we really looking at in ARN? It's a long weekend trip hopefully with a hockey game or two and some cold adult beverages. Plus some shawarma from a local joint.

Cheers -

Edit post trip: What are you folks smoking? (half in jest and half seriously) The Stockholm train station was fine. Sergels Torg was dicier. I watched some of the "interesting" dynamics from the railing up top, however, I wouldn't rate it as a no-go zone. That being said, I would not suggest it to a single female visitor at night and would avoid if drunk - based on the milling about groups of men with doing nothing but milling about. However, my view of those groups may be biased based on the readings above about Sergels Torg, I really have no idea what those folks were doing (and I am not being naive here - I'd avoid Sergels Torg downstairs at night if I was a woman or drunk). Skanstull was fine too on a Friday night even after a few cocktails (not drunk though). What did I miss here? Also, there were cops everywhere and more bar security than I see even in the US -- doesn't that make ARN safer than described (?). Lastly, I visited mid-winter and that might keep some bad actors of the streets re it's colder. I could imagine a more robust version of what others described above during tourist season (e.g., bigger crowds = more pickpocketing (?))

Last edited by thegrailer; Jan 23, 2017 at 9:58 am Reason: update