FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Complaining Effectively
View Single Post
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:12 pm
DrRodneyMcKay

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, IHG (Platinum Elite), Amtrak Guest Rewards, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by Low Roller
A bad review can cost a hotel much more than a few hundred bucks compensation. Many hotels proudly post their tripadviser ratings, so they are aware of its power. Tweets come and go, but bad reviews hang around for years. However, I think it's fair to give a hotel a chance to make things right before posting a bad review.

I think status does matter. If you stay at their chain alot, they are more likely to help you than if you only make an occasional stay. So if you've got it, flaunt it.
Good points both. I usually review on places like Yelp and the hotel's own website, if it allows it. I haven't done many TripAdvisor reviews, though I"m thinking of getting into it. They have a "points" system for reviews, but those points get you nothing - except maybe status, so that your reviews are more visible?

I think in this particular case I've given them more than a fair chance. It's been a week and they've emailed me multiple times. Now they're insisting I was informed beforehand of the non-functioning elevators (I wasn't) and that I could have cancelled a nonrefundable rate. Refusing to honor the 100% guarantee, offering me 20,000 points as a "goodwill gesture." I'm thinking this is laughable. Not even enough for one night. Probably time to casually mention bad reviews and changing my loyalty to another chain....