FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What's the story with Tryp by Wyndham hotels and Melia?
Old Jan 17, 2017, 10:45 pm
mpk620

Programs: more than I care to list...
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Are you sure that Tryp is one company worldwide?. Certainly Choice isn't. Nordic Choice, for example, is a totally separate Choice than the Choice Hotels which runs Choice Privileges. In that case, the result is that there are a bunch of countries in the world where if you're Choice Privileges you can burn but you can never earn. And yet many of the brands (Comfort, Quality, Clarion) repeat between Choice Hotels and Nordic Choice. So someone seems to have licensed hotel brand names to other companies, but that doesn't mean you can earn and/or burn at the same brand name worldwide, if it isn't the same company.
If they were Tryp by Melia - or even just Tryp - I would find that to make more sense. At least with Choice, while likely confusing to someone who may not know, they differentiate with Choice vs Nordic Choice. If they're separate companies why are they all known as "TRYP by Wyndham" hotels then?

At this point we're just arguing semantics, but I still say it doesn't really make sense.