FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - is the stay defined by expectations?
View Single Post
Old Jan 17, 2017, 10:35 am
Kagehitokiri
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by s0ssos
used to spending lots of money and not thinking it is splurging?
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
People who feel they are splurging can sometimes have expectations that are a bit unrealistic, and might therefore be less able to just relax and enjoy their stay.

"aspirational"
disagree but i guess it is how "splurge" is being defined.

i dont know what aspirational applies to, but it applies to basically no one in this forum. because >

I just wonder if someone who is constantly thinking about value can enjoy these things. You hear of these billionaires nitpicking on expenses, and I doubt Sam Walton would have enjoyed staying at a fancy hotel. So maybe some people define "worth it" differently. Even if they all have the same quantity of money.
you are making a lot of assumptions. different people value different things a different amount. "psychographics" and styles, not demographics. none of this has anything to do with income. most here spend (on travel, per night, etc) way above what is average for their income level. (even on rest of FlyerTalk many spend above average, regardless of whether luxury. many on FlyerTalk pay for luxury air for leisure travel, instead of luxury accommodations.)

some of us have given up a lot of nights/weeks of (expensive luxury) travel in exchange for fewer nights at even higher cost.

stereotypes frequently come up here re travel and forum members. stereotypes really do not work. in the case of travel, each stereotype originated within limited context of a certain type of "hotel" etc. but luxury "hotels" vary, and many do not resemble "hotels" in any way.

Originally Posted by Musken
I make sure to communicate my wishes to them - some in advance, some upon arrival and some ad hoc during the stay.
great point.

edit - posted today in another thread >

Originally Posted by KI-NRT
We choose locations/properties that are limited in tourist #s by the number of rooms. For instance, in Botswana camps, even if all of them are fully booked you're still going to get a pretty good wilderness experience since there's only a finite # of people that can be there at one time.
Originally Posted by LM225
find properties during this time that won't feel crowded (i.e. small properties with no kids
fewer rooms has a quantifiable and calculable value in monetary terms. operating costs divided by number of rooms.

some do not care about number of rooms. some prefer larger properties, although there are small properties with equivalent facilities.

some do not care about crowds, and some prefer having a crowd in terms of the kind of atmosphere and ambiance they prefer.

others prefer fewer rooms, fewer people, whether they care about facilities and other things or not.

I am almost always disappointed.
"almost always" meaning not always - when were you not disappointed?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 17, 2017 at 11:58 am