FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Airbus A321T / 321T “32B” Transcon JFK <--> LAX / SFO Upgrade Success / Help
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:54 pm
joeypore

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum), AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by jaherer1
This is my first post, but wanted to contribute since I've learned a lot from this forum the past year. I flew AA flight #118 this past Sunday (7AM), LAX to JFK. I made EXP this past October, and this was my first transcon A321T flight with AA.

I dont have EF, but when I checked the AA website for open J seats, there seemed to be 4 open, and another 4 open in F. I was #1 out of 16 on the upgrade list, up until 1 minute before boarding, and then got bumped down to #2. Unfortunately, only 2 people were upgraded (the person that bumped me from the top, as well as #16). Obviously I was not happy with the results, but I'm not sure how the last person on the upgrade list got upgraded (perhaps SWU?).

However, on my flight to LAX from MIA (flight #275 this past Friday departing at 5pm), i was #9 out of about 45 people, and 12 of us were upgraded, a few minutes before boarding. the great thing was this was on their 777-300, which is much nicer than the J seats on the A321T.

So far this year, I am 4 out of 5 on complimentary upgrades, but the other 3 upgrades were on 737's (2 cleared @ T-4 and 1 cleared @ T-72).

I have a JFK-SFO roundtrip later this month (i depart early AM on both flights, Friday and Sunday), so let's see what happens.
When #16 upgraded, the only thing I can thing of, is that they were confirmed in J and were upgrading to F. The other possibility would have been that they were an employee traveling on positive space (therefore eligible for any cabin UPG) or a military UPG (also eligible for any cabin).

Keep in mind as well that when you view the seat map, that doesn't necessarily reflect the amount of open seats that are available. It's possible that someone doesn't have an assigned seat. Also, last minute confirmed changes are made on those flights all the time, especially since a lot of people hold flexible tickets on these routes.