FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service
Old Jan 16, 2017, 4:41 am
mad_rich

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
Thanks for your insights, Secretsquirrel.return. Fascinating!

Originally Posted by Secretsquirrel.return

Refunds only given if:

Foreign object in food
Product was spilled spoiled by crew
Sell by date has passed
It'll opened and is found unsuitable for consumption
This interests me. Presumably refunded food has to be one of these categories so that somebody can be 'blamed' (=charged if necessary) for the wastage? Supplier/ Crew/ DHL/ Supplier.

I wonder if there's scope for food/ drink that's found to be just 'not very nice'. Whether that's because it's stale (although officially 'in-date'), or badly made, or cheaply sourced. Or a tea that's made with lukewarm water. These are things that I would expect a normal sandwich shop on the ground to refund without question. I can imagine it being awkward asking the crew to the same.

I did have a porridge on easyJet the other day that was mistakenly over-filled with water, so it was really not edible. The crew happily made me a new one (and offered me the old one) but I guess it will have been marked down as crew error somewhere and the guilty crew will have been sent to the gulag. That sort of policy, blame culture, makes me feel uncomfortable.