FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Upgrade Shenanigans? [Consolidated] {Archive}
Old Jan 14, 2017, 9:48 am
bocastephen
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by twkidM3
For my flight from SFO to TPE, I did not use anything to support an upgrade.
I got upgraded at the gate before boarding the flight because it was oversold in economy. Honestly, I think it's wrong for flight attendants to be able to be on standby for all three classes. We have 3 people in the family that has 1k, and I think it's wrong because we spend money to achieve that status. I understand that there are rules for intl upgrade and need supporting vouchers/mileage/fee but they should still give the benefits to customers rather than their own employees.
In an oversold situation, it's unlikely a non rev will clear into any cabin - they cannot bump people from oversold Y and put employees in undersold J unless said employee is on a positive 'must-ride' space pass.

If the flight has space to accommodate everyone, an employee can list in any or all cabins depending on its likelihood to clear and each cabin has a different cost-share amount assigned to it - depending on the purpose of travel or type of pass used, it's not completely free to them.

If the flight has space in J and space in Y, why should an elite be upgraded for free into J (i.e., a CPU) when the rest of us in J either bought the seat, used a GPU or used miles/copay to sit there?