FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service
Old Jan 14, 2017, 2:59 am
Jonrross

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
No, there should a barcode in the App version of BA.com, when online, under My Account, below your BAEC status description and above your Avios / Tier Point totals. This is supposed to be scanned into the iPad, or they can just use the BAEC card to input surname and BAEC number. If you switch your App to Flight Safe mode, as you should do onboard, and then enter My Account for the first time whilst offline, no barcode comes up. If you had checked this when online and then navigated back to the screen without leaving the App, then it stays there.
I wonder if the issue is that it's not a QR code. Having tried scanning the in app barcode using the Redlaser app it really struggled - 10-15 attempts before it read it. Presumably they're using the iPad camera to read the barcode? I think QR codes are easier to recognise and more fault tolerant. It is slightly odd why they didn't use a QR code that regenerates with the latest Avios balance embedded too.