FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Booking online vs travel agent
View Single Post
Old Jan 13, 2017, 12:57 pm
Efrem
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Oformula
How did you find your travel agent?
I'm not sure this will help you or anyone else, but I'm happy to answer the question.

When I traveled a lot for business from the late 1980s through the mid-1990s, I used a small travel agency in my home town. The owner was quite knowledgeable and understood my frequent flyer program needs. (I no longer live there, and that agency went out of business ages ago.)

I then went through years of doing everything myself online. I accepted the occasional problems as the price of progress.

When I first encountered the problem of trying to book different classes of service in one ticket through a Web site, I thought a person might be able to do what online services could not. I looked up my old travel agent on LinkedIn. I found that he now works for a large agency in, of all places, my current home town (after five or six moves over the years). I called him. He doesn't have a customer-facing position, but he recommended a specific colleague by name. I got in touch with her. The rest is history.

If you're interested in an agent in southern New England, please PM me.