FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Advice on avoiding being a seat-saving jerk?
Old Jan 11, 2017, 2:28 pm
elsenor

Programs: oneworld Rusty Iron; Starwood Aluminum
Originally Posted by palmetto86
If you truly think seat saving is that big of a problem, find another airline with assigned seats.

I flew on 169 Southwest flights in 2016--not once was someone else saving a seat an issue for me. I don't think it's a systemic problem by any means, and I have no issue with my or others savings seats for their companions or small family for that matter.
I don't know if it's that big of a problem, I was merely commenting on your admission of doing it frequently. I also didn't start the thread. I mentioned my experience earlier because it happened to my wife and I multiple times on multiple flights for the first time this past October. And my point was, it's a bit of a narrowed/rare issue for me/us and really only something I notice when it's:
1) near the front of the plane
2) prevents 2 people from sitting in the row

I don't really care if someone is saving the middle seat when both the aisle and window are taken, especially if I'm a single and can go to the next row or the one after and on and on down the plane. Very different from saving a seat that prevents 2 pax from sitting in that row.

*edit* Of course you wouldn't have a problem with someone else seat saving since you do. AND since you are boarding A1-15, you'd so seldom see it. But board with your companion for 10+ flights this year in B15-45 and see if you ever run into it. Not saying you would or wouldn't but you might think a bit differently about it.

Last edited by elsenor; Jan 11, 2017 at 2:38 pm Reason: realized person responding was person i quoted. doh.