FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Beware of A320 "non-stop" transcons - added fuel stop makes it a 27 hour odyssey
Old Jan 10, 2017, 11:38 pm
CDTraveler

Originally Posted by outer marker
My daughter was booked BOS-SFO on 1/7 which was cancelled, so she was rebooked to #471 BOS-SJC (non-stop) on 1/7. So begins the fun....

1. The A320 on this route does not have the range for a transcon against strong winter winds, so a "fuel stop" was added to the flight with no notice until boarding (this route required a stop 3 days in a row - 1/6, 1/7 and again today 1/8)

2. At the DEN fuel stop there was a mechanical delay...

3. ...which meant the crew timed out and pax were stuck at DEN at 3am. All of this after boarding 11 hours earlier in BOS and spending lots of time on the plane on the ground in BOS then DEN (it was snowing in BOS so they get slack for the ground delay there).

All the above is unfortunate, but I get things happen. But then, all the remaining unpleasantness is entirely under B6's control:

4.Not getting a replacement crew, but simply waiting for the same crew that had timed out to become legal again...resulting in a total of about 18 hours on the ground in DEN including sorting out the mechanical.

5. Not letting pax know this...so the announced likely departure time cascaded from 9am to 11am to 4pm.

6. Refusing to get any checked luggage off the plane so if pax took other flights it would be without their bags.

7.Telling pax "all hotels are sold out so we will not make accommodations or give you hotel vouchers." (apparently some pax were told they could find their own and get reimbursed, but my daughter did not know this). Of course, when I checked this am airport hotels had empty rooms but they were scattered around many airport hotels, so I conclude the DEN B6 staff didn't want to deal with the hassle of dealing with so many properties.

8. Not providing blankets or pillows when asked....or even giving a voucher to buy a sweatshirt when asked. so my daughter (whose other clothing was in checked baggage they would not retrieve) was freezing

9. Giving one meal voucher only ($20) for the 12+ hr ground delay following the 11 hours or so on board (other pax got more, apparently, so no consistency)

10. Not sending departure time or gate updates via text or email as promised, and also not listing the continuing flight on airport screens or even at the departure gate....therefore the flight was even further delayed for passengers who didn't hear the single gate change announcement

Worst service recovery I have seen in a long time. At least the deadpan "we apologize for any inconvenience" announcement by the gate agent before departure made her laugh.
The only difference between your daughter's trip and my BOS-SFO trip home from college was when it happened to me, about half the passengers stuck overnight in Denver came down with food poisoning (maybe the end of airline meals is a good thing ). That was the one and only time I ever flew Continental, and don't ask me what the aircraft was because it was long time ago.

Wait, I just remembered another difference. Before we diverted to Denver for the mechanical, we had an emergency fuel stop somewhere at a closed airport in the midwest - Omaha, maybe - and sat there for 3 hours while the airline called somebody in from home to refuel the plane.

After that I made all my transcons NW SFO-MSP-BOS, or vice versa, and never had another delay. I still miss NW...