FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in Philadelphia, PA
Old Apr 26, 2004, 9:03 pm
LexPassenger

Location: SAN Diego (Hillcrest); formerly LEXington, KY; still like the nym
Programs: DL Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; married to Hilton Elite
from a previous thread:

Over twenty years I have enjoyed staying at many, many Marriotts, and am very close to earning lifetime Plat. That's 1200 nights and 3 million points, if you doubt that I am a Marrioholic, mostly earned before all these other brandoids were involved.

I run my own small business, have paid for all of this myself, on my own decision.

However, I have experienced a few turkeys.

I have always thought that the success of Marriott is based on their ability to hire really good, customer-oriented employees. This is widespread in the system, but seems to have been strained in recent years.

Beyond that strain, there are a few hotels I have frequented which have always been below what I consider Marriott standards of service.

I would like to warn newbies off from these REAL turkeys.

My worst Marriott experiences, stretching back ten years or more, have been at Chicago-area Schaumburg, New York Westchester, New York Long Island WindWatch (no longer a Marriott), and Philadelphia Downtown.

By far and away, parasangs, lightyears, overwhelmingly, Philadelphia Downtown.

Any feedback? Has anybody ever had a good Honored Guest/Marriott Rewards PAID FOR with HONEST MONEY stay (not cash-in) at Philadelphia Downtown? I have had four completely rotten, unbelievably incompetent ones....
One of the most appalling stupidities at Philly downtown was that they downright LIED to me. I asked for a room on the concierge levels (the wing was closed) and was told NO ROOMS were available. Since there is now internet access everywhere, I promptly went to a terminal and BOOKED a concierge room! When we showed this proof, we were offered an "upgrade" to a murphy-bed equipped parlor (as a "suite"). But we could not have a concierge level room because "our rate was not high enough".

At least I suppose these customer unfriendly liars were honest about that!

Philly downtown is managed abominably and hardly any of the operation is customer friendly. When we chewed out the restaurant manager for not training the staff properly THREE OTHER PARTIES got in line behind us to complain --- because they saw we had the balls to do it!

Philly downtown is a ghastly property --- avoid it unless you have a very high tolerance for indignity and suffering.