FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Post Your Experiences: Late Check-Out for Elites (Starting 5/16/16)
Old Jan 9, 2017, 1:11 pm
RogerD408
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by dwiser
Stayed at the Triada Palm Springs in December - it's a non-resort property in Palm Springs. When I asked for 4pm late checkout I was told that it was subject to availability - and given 12:30pm instead. I was clear about understanding Marriott's policy to be 4pm guaranteed - and they were clear back that their policy is subject to availability.

Two e-mails to Marriott Customer Service proved that they also are claiming "subject to availability" - see below:
Thank you for taking the time to respond to our cooperate survey.

Late check-outs are guaranteed for all of our Platinum and Gold elite members. However, a late check-out at 4 P.M. is based on availability. I apologize for the misunderstanding and any inconvenience this may have caused.

Safe travels,

Tianna Booker
Marriott Customer Care Shift Supervisor
AND
Thank you for taking the time to reach out to Marriott Customer Care.

The sentence, "Guaranteed late checkout is an enhanced Elite benefit for Gold and Platinum members, offering late checkout guaranteed as late as 4pm." on the Frequently Asked Questions page on the link you provided, means that Gold and Platinum members are guaranteed late check-out. The time-frame is up to the hotel. They can allow late check-out up to 4 PM, but it can also be earlier.

Safe travels,
Janice Cox
Marriott Customer Care
I have some tolerance for individual hotels who don't allow 4pm checkout. But when Customer Service agents at Marriott Corp. articulate the policy as subject to availability, it seems clear that this becomes the effective policy.
Often CSRs will make up rules to support what the property is saying. That's less work for them if you just go away. Should you run into this again, do escalate with MR. Statements like guaranteed subject to availability says nothing. I'll bet some consultant billed by the word for writing the T&Cs,