FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Fuel stop on a cross-country flight? How rare is this?
Old Jan 8, 2017, 12:42 pm
squeakr
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Fuel stop on a cross-country flight? How rare is this?

In all my years of flying I've never had this happen, so I'm curious about opinions or information about a situation like this. Some of the details may not be relevant but I'm adding all the information I know in case it helps with how this could have happened.

VX FLT 25, JFK-SFO JAN 7. A320 overwater version. Scheduled to leave at 11:55, departure moved forward to 1230. However, as we saw the plane was already here, we made it for the gate for the correct departure time, and in fact they did start boarding for an 1155 departure. HOWEVER, since there was no announcement that the plane to take off earlier than 1230, we sat on the tarmac until about 1220 waiting for the final 15 passengers to arrive. Once no one else showed up, the door was closed, and we drove out to have the wings deiced.
The deicing took about half an hour so we took off about 1 o'clock. About an hour and a half into the flight, the pilot came onto the intercom and announce would be stopping in Fresno, as the headwinds made it impossible for us to reach SFO with the fuel on board.

I've flown cross-country many many many times, often in the winter, and I've never had a situation like this. Looking at a map, Fresno seemed about as far as SFO if not a bit further. However, we were also cognizant that SFO could easily have had arrange a late by time we got there, so we assumed that the pilot was taking a precaution based on having possibly circle at SFO if needed. But again, I haven't circled SFO in many years – they usually just keep the planes are taking off, and put a ground hold instead.

So we added fuel at Fresno, and took off for SFO with no other problems. Landed about an hour and a half late.

My question is, how can you fly across country in a storm and not have enough fuel to make your destination? If you're not confident you're going to make it to San Francisco, how can you be confident you're going to make it to Fresno? I have never experienced a situation where a cross-country flight had to stop before its destination to refuel. Is this more common then I think? Was it a "with "perfect storm" of blizzard in JFK, possible ground hold at SF, and winter luggage for all passengers? The plane was nowhere near full – As I mentioned, 15 people that were scheduled to board did not make the flight. And it's a 320 overwater version – could this happen going to Hawaii?

I've flown VX for a long time since leaving United, and I've always been very happy with the service and competence of the pilots and crew. But this really gave me pause – not just because it's a day or two after Alaska took over.

Any input welcome.