FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later
Old Jan 6, 2017, 6:43 pm
Happy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rufflesinc
I can imagine this a year ago when the deval was about to hit, but have you seen this always happen? I know this is always true for QF, but other than during the deval, CX always seems to have at least one F least around the days I want.

When booking CX F using AS a few months ago, I found out the F seat was released late morning or early afternoon ET. I didn't call every 5 or 10 mins but every hour or so and still got the seats both in and outbound.
To be honest, the ONLY time I booked this early for ANYTHING, was the AA deval on the CX F. Everything else, including the QR 380F, I did not book at the window opened but as late as possible. I much prefer to book 3 months or less before departure if possible. Alas in recent years I have to book 6 to 8 months out due to many more people now have boat loads of miles than in the years past.

1F is not hard. Having 2x 1F on close flights on the same date is not always possible. For the BA exercise I actually did both my ticket and my husband's ticket the same way - still on different flights and as the travel date getting closer (early Feb) I saw CX started opening up J though not on our flights, but of course still no F. Will need to do the rebooking if there is seat released, when we are in Hong Kong.

Booked another itinerary a few weeks ago for travel in August - the LAX-HKG route has 1F on many flights many dates, but the JNB-HKG is much harder to find suitable date.

Those once a day long haul flight in CX network can be tough to get. They often oversold in all cabins as well, so cannot count on new release or last minute release.