FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 60 minute connection, any cause for concern?
Old Jan 5, 2017, 10:22 am
headingwest

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
60 minute connection, any cause for concern?

In September I'm flying Aegean from LUX to ATH and then connecting on to KWI (Kuwait) - arriving at 2:25 am on the Wednesday. I've upgraded both flights using upgrade coupons. The connection time is exactly one hour, and it's on one ticket.

Since making the booking I've decided to make a big trip of it and I've also booked redemption flights with BAEC departing from KWI at 23:20 on the Thursday. That takes me on to HKG via DOH, and back via BKK to AUH - then another booking AUH-VIE (now connecting somewhere - still not known - along the way!). So it's going to be quite a trip, and should give me almost 2 days in Kuwait, 4 days in Hong Kong, and 2 days in Bangkok.

It's recently dawned on me that the first connection is not going to be at a particularly busy airport and if, for whatever reason, I miss that LUX-ATH-KWI connection, it could make things very difficult indeed as Aegean will only fly to KWI on T̶h̶u̶r̶s̶d̶a̶y̶s̶ Tuesdays and Saturdays.

Particularly I'd like to ask 3 questions.

1. If I missed this connection due to a delay with the LUX-ATH flight would Aegean provide accommodation for the night?

2. Would it be likely that they'd book me onto another airline to get me to KWI in time for my next flights?

3. If one of the Aegean flights gets cancelled do I have to go home and cry!?

I'm not exactly sure, I think EC261 would ensure that they did both 1 and 2, but I'd be most grateful for any thoughts or comments.

I'm not panicking because in the worst case I would still have time to cancel my BAEC booking before T-24, thus get my Avios and cash back.

I imagine that one of the advantages of Athens being a smaller airport is that it's less likely that there would be a delay anyway. After all it's not like Heathrow where you can spend a good half hour circling London before landing and then waiting another half hour to get parked up.

Last edited by headingwest; Jan 5, 2017 at 12:31 pm Reason: wrong day