FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - HOBART, TASMANIA TO PORT ELIZABETH, SOUTH AFRICA – In A Roundabout Way
Old Apr 26, 2004, 6:26 am
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
April 4, 2004
Seattle to Anchorage to Fairbanks
Alaska Airlines 99 Economy Class
DC-9-80 N974AS Seat 21B
1020a – 147p Flight time: 3:13/0:37

BA’s First Class beds are nice – by airplane standards – but a big king sized bed such as I received at the Red Lion is so much nicer. I got my rest and then some. I’d asked for and received a 6:15am wake up call, figuring that would leave me plenty of time to shuttle back to SeaTac for my 8:00am departure up to Alaska. Not only was I excited to be returning home (The best thing about leaving Alaska is having a round trip ticket) but I was also looking forward to checking out Alaska’s First Class breakfast service on the longer flight up to Anchorage. It’s got to be better than that dinky quiche and fruit plate currently being doled out on the west coast flights.

When I arrived at the check-in counter, I was calculating whether I’d have enough time to stop by the Boardroom for one of my favorite scones. Imagine then my surprise when I was informed that my flight had already departed! On time. As opposed to me who had forgotten that Daylight Savings Time had occurred on Saturday night and I’d forgotten to set my clock forward. Equally guilty was the front desk staff at the Red Lion who woke me up at 6:15am without having moved their clocks forward. Funny, but it was only just last week that I’d set my watch back an hour for Australian Daylight Savings Time!

Thankfully, there was a seat available on the 10:20am direct flight to Fairbanks. Unfortunately, it was an economy seat. In the middle. And so it was that I went from First to Worst just like that. No fancy First Class breakfast for me, but then I did have plenty of time to stop by the Boardroom for one of those magnificent scones, of which there were many.

I had a myriad of large and small tasks to accomplish during my originally planned twenty two hour stopover in Fairbanks and so I’d written them all down on a list in the hopes that I might better maximize what little time I had through better organization. Now, I’d have less than twenty hours. Truth be known, I was quite happy just to have a seat anywhere on what turned out to be the next flight out. It could have been much worse had I not been able to get back until later this evening.

After reading about all the fabulous First Class wining, dining and pampering that I’ve been receiving at the hands of British Airways’ marvelously capable cabin staff, I’m sure you don’t care for me to go into detail about Alaska’s comparatively lackluster economy class service up to Anchorage and beyond to Fairbanks. Suffice to say that I received a pretty tasty chicken sandwich and a Club Soda from one of Alaska’s prettier Flight Attendants. We landed in Fairbanks on time, I picked up my truck and set right to work on my list of Things To Do. It sure was good to be home!

April 5, 2004
Fairbanks to Anchorage to Seattle
Alaska Airlines 82 Economy Class
737-400 N768AS Seat 14F
1100a – 503p Flight time: :47/3:01

I am a lucky guy! Not only did I manage to accomplish all my chores, I got to do so over two beautiful if somewhat cool days in Fairbanks. What a great day for flying! Clear skies, lots of sunshine and the magnificent Alaska Range looming bigger than life down to the south. After a 23 second take off roll, we climbed into that clear northern sky and I reclined my seat while watching 20,320 feet of Denali compete with us for altitude during the short flight down to Anchorage.

MD-11 fans would have been agog this day in Anchorage while looking at freighter variations from Korean, Fed Ex, Gemini Air Cargo, EVA and China Eastern. Anchorage is one of the world’s largest cargo hubs and with so many MD-11s being converted to freighters, it’s not uncommon to see them in town. Still, even I had never seen examples from five different operators in one place!

Luncheon was yet another Chicken Sandwich, this time served with a chocolate chip cookie. Despite a somewhat late departure out of Anchorage, we made good time down to Seattle and actually arrived at the gate a couple of minutes early. Nice work, pilots!

Seattle to San Francisco
Alaska Airlines 521 Economy Class
737-400 N705AS Seat 14A
555p – 807p Flight time: 1:44

I had an hour and a half layover in Seattle and called a few friends before heading over to Gate C-17 for my connecting flight down to San Francisco. Pesto and Sundried Tomato Pita Chips provided sustenance on this relatively short flight while visual entertainment was provided by Mounts Rainier, St. Helens, Adams, Hood, Jefferson, Shasta and Lassen – volcanoes all.

I spent the night at the Sheraton Gateway SFO, booked through Priceline for the excellent rate of only $32.00! It must’ve been a slow night but I was thankful because the Sheratons have nice mattresses and I needed what little quality sleep I could get before responding to yet another early morning wake up call for my onward flight to New York.