FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New to Manufactured Spending? Start here(2017-2018)
Old Jan 3, 2017, 4:09 pm
alliemaire1230

Originally Posted by Mamibear
if you mean the 5B GC and you're eyeing the PO to drain it, it'll not go through because it's issued by Metabank. It'll be accepted at WM but if you want to squeeze $25 cashback out of it, go to CVS and buy (1) $495 OneVanilla GC. The 4.95 will pay for the fee so your total will be $499.95. Swipe your 5BGC for the full amount and press debit. When PIN screen comes up, enter the last 4 numbers of the card. Make sure to check the back of the package to see if it's issued by BANCORP if you intend to drain it at PO. If it's issued by Metabank, it won't go through at PO but it'll be accepted at WM. At grocery stores that accept debit card, GCs issued by Metabank or Bancorp usually go through.

PS: since you mentioned amex plat, did you register from a leaked link, the one from around Thanksgiving? if yes, it is best to AVOID BUYING ANY GCs from anywhere because this particular card is under close scrutiny and chances of your MR getting clawed back if they suspect you bought any GC is very high. It is best to meet min spend on the ax plat by ORGANIC spending ~ meaning paying rent, utility bills, buying groceries, etc and other NON-MS related purchases. For more details, check this thread.
Thank you so much! That was really helpful. My plat is just the 40k sign up bonus, I got it a few weeks ago. I needed it more so for the Marriott gold status because work was sending me to a Marriott for almost two weeks and also the delta lounge access which I will get a lot of use out of at Laguardia and JFK.

But thanks for letting me know that I need be careful with the Amex Plat card. I've bought just one $500 5BGC with it. Unfortunately I can't pay rent with the card through plastiq because my landlord only accepts cash. I know it's kind of seedy but I have a very very good deal on my apartment because of it. So I'm wondering if I could use PayPal at all to "purchase" something from a friend or family and then get to the amount that way. is that possible to do for MS with the amex plat? I don't see much about PayPal but I'm curious about using that to meet the minimum spend.