FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Documentation problem, family of 4 Involuntarily Denied Boarding
Old Jan 3, 2017, 3:50 pm
theddo

Originally Posted by davetravels
OK, so . . . earlier today, I sent an eMail to: The South African Embassy in Washington, DC just for the heck of it . . . .

Here's a copy of my eMail:

Subject: A question regarding a family transiting JNB airport to Harare, please . . .

I am inquiring for an American family of 4, who will be traveling from the USA to Paris to Johannesburg on Air France - THEN - from JNB to Harare on South African Airways on a separate ticket.

The question is regarding their children:

The 2 children are under 18. I understand that the parents would need to produce their birth certificates to ENTER South Africa, but, their layover is only about 3 hours before their flight to Harare, so, they will be in transit, and Zimbabwe doesn't require the certificates.

Will they need to have the birth certificates for any reason at the JNB airport?

Thanking you very much for your time.

David

Here's their incredibly brief 2 sentence response:

You will need the Full Birth Certificate/s. The airline may not even let you on board.

That's it! Nothing further - No explanation. They also attached a form that starts off like this:

Annexure C
SUGGESTED FORMAT: PARENTAL CONSENT AFFIDAVIT
(CONSENT FOR PERSON UNDER THE AGE OF 18 TO TRAVEL TO OR FROM THE REPUBLIC) I/We hereby declare my/our consent that my/our daughter/son
whose Unabridged Birth Certificate (UBC) or **Equivalent document is attached may travel to and from South Africa

At the bottom of the form, it has a spot for some type of a certificatrion or notarization:

Thus signed and **sworn/solemnly affirmed before me on this ............. day of
.................................................. .................
OFFICE STAMP
Commissioner of Oaths
(May be attested free of charge at any embassy or mission of the Republic of South Africa

So, they attached this form, but the eMail makes no mention of anything about it - or, more importantly, NO MENTION of the transit situation!

SO - - - The irony is, that, they actually DIDN'T need this!!!
It will be difficult to get any compensation when the embassy claims they lacked proper documentation, even if that later on turns out to be wrong.