FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United Voucher for Fare Price Change?
View Single Post
Old Jan 3, 2017, 1:30 pm
Mike Jacoubowsky

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by JCrew7384
UPDATE: I wrote in, short and sweet, factual issue, with attached screenshots of the cheaper fare I saw after boarding, as well as a screenshot of my fare when purchased (which I only happened to have because I forwarded to a friend).

I got a big spiel about fares and rates and algorithms and complex processes, and that they wouldn't honor my request for $500 voucher, but would in good faith offer me $250 voucher.

Although not the full amount I requested, that is a win in my book.

I understand everyone's comments here, but it still seems unfair to claim 2 seats remaining at a given price, when United.com is supposed to offer the lowest price, and then magically discount that in half. My flight was from EGE to EWR on 12/30. Prime date and prime airport. Doubt that any connections or operations issues impacted that flight, nor do I think it was a big group that cancelled because they would not have been on that flight.
I think you did OK, all things considered, with that $250 voucher.

But again, as others pointed out, you put too much faith in Y=2. Consider that's something the average person isn't even aware of. I'm certainly guilty at times of thinking I know the system well enough to take advantage of it, and often it works in my favor, but there are times when there's a "gotcha" and this is one of those times.

For what it's worth, if I have to fly somewhere and the fare is that far out of the ordinary, I'd consider using miles, even on a standard fare. 25,000 miles vs $1000? That's 4c/mile right? Plus, if you're a 1K, you can swap that for a 12,500 mile award at the last minute, when that becomes available, without penalty.