FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2017 and the Devaluation of SWU (nee eVIP, VIPOW) Upgrades
Old Jan 3, 2017, 7:37 am
bse118

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jm0754
As a longtime EXP I have been able to use my EVIP upgrades quite well. In 2016, as C inventory is basically never available, I really struggled and all I tried to use them for was Biz to First on flights to and from LHR mostly. AA summarily blocks A inventory which is awful for both EVIPs and round the world first tickets.

As I started looking for tickets in 2017 I do not even see systemwide upgrade availability on banal domestic flights at many differing times of year.

Routes I checked.

PBI-SMF
SMF-FLL
SMF-PBI
PBI-SFO
SFO-MIA
SFO-FLL
MIA-SFO
PBI-LAS
LAS-FLL

Is this final straw in AA basically making the utility of EVIPs a thing of the past. Since AA started coding domestic First as Biz this is a chronic problem. What have others experienced?
I was 8/8 for SWUs (what's an EVIP...if you're going to complain at least use the correct terminology) in 2016. Some in advance, some at the gate, none at booking. Many others have the same experience.

There's this "banal" refrain on FT that SWUs have no value unless confirmed space is available at booking. It's getting pretty tiresome...

The real devaluation is the cut from 8 to 4.

Last edited by bse118; Jan 3, 2017 at 7:42 am Reason: typo