FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Go West Young Man: Back to China with UA J/CA F/LH F
Old Jan 2, 2017, 8:31 am
steveman518

Of course, it wouldn't be a United flight without gate lice and a lot of folks standing in the wrong line

The queen

UA888
SFO-PEK
Boeing 747-400
Seat 15A

I had not ridden a 747 since I came back from the 2008 Beijing Olympics (with the Argentine soccer team and the US baseball and softball teams), and this would the first time I had ridden a 747 in the upper deck (the first of many firsts this trip). Needless to say I was pretty excited for this flight, even if it was on United. My expectations were a little higher since the Polaris soft product had already been rolled out as well.

Boarding was performed with two jet bridges, both on the lower deck, giving me the opportunity to climb stairs inside a plane for the first time. While I knew that the upper deck is a much smaller cabin, nothing really prepares you for the first time you arrive in the upper deck.

United 747 upper deck

United still uses the same seats that everyone's come to know and love/hate, though with the new Polaris product the whole seat was covered with blankets and the like which took up an entire side storage bin (1 pillow, 1 sleeping pad, 1 comforter, 1 lighter blanket).

seat

obligatory legroom shot

I'm so short I don't reach the footwell

so many blankets

seat controls, IFE remote, and tray table storage

view from my first backward-facing seat

Immediately upon being seated the FA offered a pre-departure beverage. It almost seems as if the setup was designed so that if you were too drunk you wouldn't be able to pick up and consume the beverage.

Seat-mate's PDB

Menus were also quickly passed out and read as follows

After a 45-minute mechanical delay we departed. The sensation of facing backwards and taking off was a great thrill for me, though given my short legs they were dangling from the seat during the initial climb.

climbing

Soon afterwards the lunch service began, and it was very clear that one of the FAs in the upper deck was doing a very good job at executing the new Polaris product and was very approachable while the other was just going through the motions. My seat mate sampled a wine flights and seemed to be pretty happy with it.

random knife in the tray table holder

showtime with nuts

wine flight

The appetizer and salad came on a tray, and I was decently impressed by both. I was a little disappointed with the garlic bread, as there was very little in the way of anything more than the bread itself.

appetizer and salad

For the main I ordered the asian fusion chicken soup, which tasted pretty good, and would be something I would consider eating on the ground if it was thicker like a curry (and a larger portion)

main

The cheese course was stronger than I expected, but the desserts were absolutely fantastic. I had a sundae with everything and the three small desserts. Unfortunately a sundae with everything only meant one cherry. Overall I was pretty impressed with the Polaris dining experience, though I don't have a means of comparison to pre-Polaris UA J dining.

desserts

After lunch I requested a gel pillow and PJs in preparation for sleeping. However the lavs are really tiny so I only changed into the long-sleeve top. I ended up with a S/M set of PJs and they were a little large on me (5' 7" 145 lbs for reference).

747 upper deck lav

After changing and laying down the sleeping pad I proceeded to nap on and off for half the flight before requesting a hot snack. Unfortunately the chicken with rice was very dry and the sauce had also dried a bit as well.

lying flat

mid-flight snack

After being bored and watching The Roast of Rob Lowe, the pre-arrival breakfast (during the local lunch time) was served. I ordered the porridge/congee with seafood and was very impressed by its execution. Usually I had only seen it decently executed by Asian airlines (and completely screwed up by western airlines), so the the bar wasn't set particularly high for United. I cleared the plate very quickly and prepared for landing.

breakfast...during lunch

before descent

during descent

The plane somehow landed despite not being able to see anything. The AQI (air quality index) for Beijing upon arrival was 440, which is considered very hazardous. Good times!

Overall I was pleased with this flight, and I remain hopeful for the time being about the potential of Polaris once all the elements are working together (including the new Polaris seat) and crews have more experience with the product.