FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Held Reservation Canceled
View Single Post
Old Dec 30, 2016, 11:12 am
Dave Noble
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Fraser
So even if you book at say 7am on Tuesday and the Hold from AA is valid until 11.59pm EST on Wednesday you can find AA will cancel it at 7.01am on Wednesday?

I use the free Hold feature on almost all my AA bookings in the past 2yrs or so (maybe 50 trips) and I've never had a problem with fares being cancelled in the Hold timeframe. I'll often go back in and confirm a few minutes before the 11.59pm expiration, including an itinerary I booked last night.
It is not often that fares happen to expire on day of placing a hold. How often have you been making bookings where the fare itself is no longer is valid to purchase on the day following the placement of the hold?

The OP was told that " nothing can be done now that the fare is no longer offered" - if it was just a case that the reservation was lost , if there was availability in booking class, would be easy to rebook and even without that would expect a reasonable possibility that the airline would be able to overbook into that class and get it ticketed and that a concern of who cancelled the reservation would not be too major a thing

I may have misunderstood the comment , which is why did ask the route to see whether it was a fare that was valid for purchase on day 1 but not valid on day 2

If it is just that someone/thing cancelled the reservation and there just is no availability to rebook in that class and the airline will not force the booking back in , then would indeed be wanting to know who cancelled