FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best BBQ in Portland, OR
View Single Post
Old Apr 24, 2004, 4:55 pm
HigherFlyer

Location: PDX, AMS, MSN, ORD. Dedicated to finding a cure for Republicanism in our time. "Won't you please help"? "For the children's sake"?
Programs: ! "Ya can't tell da' playahs wit'out a program!" NW silver, DIRT everywhere else.
Exclamation The whole story.

Originally Posted by HigherFlyer
Found this web site...
http://www.d-dish.com/
Which lists Doris' Cafe at 3606 N. Williams.
Still investigating...
So Ms. HF & I went looking for the truth about Doris' and soup & soap. We found the new Doris'!!! It is indeed at 3606 N Williams, but it's not open yet. We were told it will be open starting this Wednesday, with a 'grand opening' celebration in about two weeks! ^

So then we went to try for Miss Ella's Soup & Soap. It was closed, with no explanation. The phone has been disconnected.

Now "so hungry we could almost eat at Arby's", we went to Yam Yam's. I had the beef ribs because I've had pork the last 10 or so times, so I wanted a change. The ribs were not as meaty as I might like, but that's what I get for ordering beef ribs! The sauce was sweet & tangy, Not much smoke or spice. Like what I've had around the Georgia/Tennessee region. I had red beans & rice, and collard greens on the side. Ms. HF had Catfish, with Mac & cheese and greens. We also split an order of DELICIOUS southern fried chicken wings. IMHO, the wings were the highlight of the meal.
YamYam's isn't much for atmosphere (see 'Southern Truck Stop' decor), but the food Is great! If you like southern style, this is it.

Last edited by HigherFlyer; Apr 24, 2004 at 5:01 pm Reason: wiping BBQ sauce from my chin.