FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hyatt Regency Hakone, Japan REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Dec 25, 2016, 7:09 am
hailstorm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Is the Executive Twin Suite any better than the regular Regency Suite? Looking at the floor plans, it seems the Executive Suite has fewer windows and seems more "cramped" than the Regency Suite, even though it is supposedly bigger.
Although we had a DSU upgrade to a regular Regency Suite, a week before our stay the hotel contacted us and asked if we would consider being "upgraded" to the Executive Twin Suite. After they agreed to comp our extra bed, we agreed to try this suite.

Leaving the view aside, which wasn't as impressive as that of the Regency Suite but certainly wasn't terrible, I found myself preferring the Executive Twin Suite to the Regency Suite. The bedroom is positioned in the center of the space, with doors shutting away the living room and the enclosed balcony, so that both of these areas can be enjoyed without disturbing those still asleep. Also, the suite is located in the East Wing, which makes it much easier to access the Izumi Spa. So I would definitely consider the Executive Suite a genuine upgrade for lodging purposes.

I was pleased to find a Nespresso machine that wasn't in our room last year. When I asked housekeeping, they told me that these were currently available in all of the suites and most of the Deluxe rooms, with an eye towards ultimately expanding them to all rooms going forward.

The freely available snacks during the 4 to 7 lobby drink time are in fact no longer available. Diamond members are given one ticket per day to redeem for a small set of olives, pretzels, and mixed nuts. When I asked, I was allowed to replace this with the cheese and bread plate, though this was comically small for the 1500 yen price that they sell for. Diamonds also get an expanded drink menu, which includes mostly liquors and cocktails available to others on the "50% off menu", and also a selection of non-alcohol locally produced carbonated beverages of plum, tangerine, and lemon flavors, all of which are worth a try.

I wanted to try the special Kanda of Motoazabu produced breakfast, but it was fully booked for both nights of my stay. I was skeptical, but apparently people are willing to pay 6000 yen (or 2600 upgrade from Diamond breakfast) for this, so good for them for finding a way to make this hotel even more upscale. Looks like the bespoke restaurant Berce is doing well also.

Originally Posted by hailstorm
^ Forgot to mention that, even though they are classified as a "resort" and thus not bound to do so, they still gave us 4pm checkout.
No such luck this time. Kicked out by 1pm.

Last edited by hailstorm; Dec 26, 2016 at 4:59 am