FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Missing first flight in multi-destination itinerary
Old Dec 23, 2016, 1:50 pm
Snigle

Missing first flight in multi-destination itinerary

My wife and I are slated to fly into SCL from ORD next Thursday via American Airlines.

American Airlines changed our schedule and now with the foretasted snow I'm worried that I might not make it to SCL before my LATAM multi-destination itinerary.

This itinerary looked like:
SCL->PUQ - Dec 31st 9AM (no changes permitted)
PUQ -> PMC - Jan 7th (changes permitted with fee)
PMC -> SCL - Jan 10th (changes permitted)

Now if I miss my connecting flight into SCL, I will not be able to arrive on Dec 30th as I have planned but will have to take the flight the next day which will take me in at Dec 31st 8AM. Leaving 1 hour to make it through customs, claim our luggage, recheck it, and get back through security and to our gate. I don't think this would be possible in an hour.

My question is: If I can't make my 9AM LATAM flight to PUQ will they let me get on the 10AM flight or will I be out of luck? What would happen to the rest of our planned flights?

Any suggestions on how to best handle this would be appreciated. I know some airlines in the US have an unofficial "flat tire" policy that will allow you to take the next flight at no cost if you just barely miss you outgoing flight. Does LATAM have anything like this?