FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LGA Traffic Nightmare: Redevelopment 2016–≈2020; New For-Hire Vehicle & Taxi Pickups
Old Dec 21, 2016, 2:03 pm
tonypct

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by Often1
Not sure why this keeps bouncing back to this thread as it's been beaten to death elsewhere.

The bottom line is fairly simple given that the physical space between a major highway and the construction site leaves just so much space:

1. Limit vehicles and divert everyone into some form of shuttle system to offsite areas. This would include taxis, car service, and private vehicles.
2. Limit capacity into the airport, e.g. # of passengers (rotations already limited).
3. Massive airport use fee for non-public vehicles, e.g., private vehicles, taxis, car service (add $20 to the cost of a ride and see how many people will hop a bus to an off site location)

None of these are particularly appealing to any carrier which is the primary service point for HVC's and serves NY's financial district. However, there are plenty of people who would pay $20 extra to have priority access to the curb and leave the rest of the populace simmering in a traffic jam.

This is going to continue through 2020 (at least). People who say that they will consider elsewhere don't know NYC. Neither JFK nor EWR are particularly convenient, the HVC's who make the world go round and support the airfare structure in the market are not going to take public transportation from either and most of them can work from a car just as well as they can from a desk, so the traffic is not as much of a bother.
Sounds like your #1 will happen. I park at the Parking Spot off LGA and just last week, one of their employees told me that sometime in 2017, they, along with other parking and hotel buses, will not be allowed to drop passengers off directly at the terminals. Shuttle buses will drop us off at the Marine Air Terminal, where we will then take PA buses to the appropriate terminal.

I can't confirm on any web site.

Just thinking about that gives me agita and a headache.

Last edited by tonypct; Dec 21, 2016 at 5:22 pm