FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - JW Marriott Essex House, New York City (Manhattan) [Master Thread]
Old Dec 19, 2016, 7:55 pm
swintec

Finished up three nights here this past weekend making it my second stay here.

Was treated very well. For what its worth, I am Plat. Premier.

Booked standard king room on points several weeks out.

The night before the stay I was prebooked into a central park view room which is a one category upgrade and was satisfactory to me and about what I expected. When I got up the next morning it was changed to a Manhattan view suite. Woo-hoo. I checked periodically on my way to NYC and in the middle of the ride in it was changed again to a Manhattan view family suite (extra half bath and what not) so it just kept getting better and better. About a half hour from the hotel it was changed again the other way to just a standard family suite (no view worth mentioning). One door away from the JW suite..so close! lol Part of me wonders what I would have received if i got there just an hour earlier.

At any rate, the upgrade was appreciated and more than I could have expected. I dont know if it was because of Plat. premier or if i would have scored that room if i was just lowly plat.

Lounge and breakfast was great. For the month of December breakfast is extended until 11. Dinner offerings were meals in themselves. They know how to operate a lounge correctly. With that said, it seems quite a few elites / lounge users do not know how to use the lounge correctly. Specifically, trying to bring in more than the elite plus 1. They do stop and question (as they should) at least during the breakfast offerings. The podium at the front is staffed and has a computer. Busy mornings, they maintain a wait list for tables as they open up.

For what its worth, I know in a lot of past discussions here, its always been a question of what some of the rules are for lounge access. I received a winter guide from the hotel and in it, it lists lounge access rules. I assume these can also be extended to other marriott lounges.

•Only the Platinum or Gold Member gets access with one additional guest. If you have booked multiple rooms only your room gets access with one additional guest.
•The lounge is only for the member themselves, so if you are not traveling and have booked a reservation for a friend/family member under your name, they will not get access.
•Food cannot be taken out of the lounge.

At any rate, an amazing stay. I was treated very well.