FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sofitel Sydney Wentworth - good enough, but service not on par with Sofitel Melbourne
Old Dec 18, 2016, 9:31 pm
gilbertaue

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Gagravarr
We were there last week, so we might've been some of the people you saw crowding the lounge...

Like you, I found the people sat by the door to the lounge a bit odd. They didn't seem to do much except struggle to find our room on the list each time

However, the serving staff in the lounge we did find to be helpful. At breakfast they always came up shortly after sitting down to take tea/coffee orders. Ditto mid-afternoon. They also seemed good at helping anyone arriving a few minutes too late to get something, and were very pro-active in ensuring guests in the lounge were able to "load up" before the end of breakfast/happy hour/etc

Location wise, we found it perfect for touristy stuff. There were a handful of places open in the evening nearby, or it wasn't too far a walk / bus ride out to places with lots of good restaurants, for the evenings you didn't manage to eat enough in the lounge!
We were there in the first week of Dec
I did have a chat to a F&B maanger in the hotel during our stay. So that may have made the staff a tad more pro-active. I don't know.

Certainly of 5 breakfasts we had there, not once did someone come up to us and ask what we wanted. We always had to walk up to them or indicate to them that we needed something.
Yes, they were better in the afternoon - but it was also less crowded then.

My main question is simply: How can Melbourne get it so right and Sydney not really so.