FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amex voucher - changing route (and possibly cabin)?
Old Dec 18, 2016, 8:23 am
larryflyer

Programs: BA Silver, HHonors, SPG, Marriott, A|Club, Tesco CC, Costa Coffee Club
Amex voucher - changing route (and possibly cabin)?

Looking to travel to WAS early next year using an Amex voucher. Ideally, we would going outbound to BWI in WT+ and return from IAD in CW.

On the dates we need, outbound to BWI is currently not available for redemptions in WT+ (nor in CW), so I'm about to book my 'next best' option, which is outbound to IAD in WT+ (and still return from IAD in CW).

If redemption seats to BWI open up later (as I suspect might well happen), will I be able to:
a. switch the outbound from IAD to BWI (still in WT+, if available)?
b. switch the outbound from IAD to BWI, AND pay an extra 24,000 Avios to upgrade to CW, if WT+ is still not available?

In the past, I've managed to switch airports (between BWI and IAD) and cabin (between WT+, CW and F) successfully several times, close to the date of travel. But those were always one-way redemptions, one person (no voucher) so it was easy to book the new flight and just cancel the old one (just paying the £35 fee).

This time, using the Amex voucher, I'm anticipating I'll need to keep my original booking (to avoid losing the return flight), and ask BA to process it as a change of route (creating an open-jaw) and possibly change of cabin also.

Can anyone see anything in the voucher rules (or precedent) that would stop me doing this?

Last edited by larryflyer; Dec 18, 2016 at 10:11 am Reason: typo