FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is there still a thrill for a rare F ride across the Atlantic?
Old Dec 16, 2016, 6:16 am
orbitmic
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
It seems to me that precisely by nature, the less you are used to a product, the more of a thrill there can be. Not all BA F flights were created equal (if only because of significant equipment differences) but whilst I am one who has pointed out that BA F has falled quite a lot behind much of the competition, I have also frequently expressed that in my view, most BA F flights are still a pleasant experience, and if, for example, you are used to BA CW, it will be a significant step up.

I also think that relatively longer routes are definitely a better way to experience it and that is the case with SEA which avoids the infamous afternoon tea in favour of a much preferable second meal.

So basically, it is all a question of point of reference, expectations, and opportunity cost:

- If you are a typical F flyer who is lucky enough to regularly travel LHR-HND on JL, LHR-SIN on SQ, LGW-CGK on GA or CDG-JFK on AF all in F and can instead experience LHR-SEA for a similar price, don't bother as you'll very likely be disappointed;

- If you are a typical CW flyer who is lucky enough to typically travel J and have a chance to get F instead for a relatively low price differential, then absolutely go for it: you'll enjoy the smaller cabin, greater staff attention, better lounge, very decent (if admittedly not spectacular) wines and typically good food as long as it isn't a flight with breakfast for the main meal;

- If you are used to either the 'weaker F' like AA or UA, or the 'better J' like QR or SQ, then the answer is somewhere in between: I'd say go for it if the price difference is limited but don't expect to be blown away, just to have an overall comfortable and pleasant experience with good surprises in some areas and quite possibly some frustration in a few others.

I hope it helps.