FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - I forfeited my "run" this morning
View Single Post
Old Dec 14, 2016, 12:13 pm
puppysara

Programs: AA 2MM, *wd gold
I've done it 2x.

One time I had a LAX/JFK RT and two days later was booked on LAX-MAD flt for vacation with husband. Storm was threatening the East Coast. The potential of getting stuck in JFK wasn't acceptable. My husband doesn't travel well and our u/gs had already cleared to MAD. I cancelled the JFK trip. The other was to Asia with two 8 HR JAL legs in coach. I was tired and didn't want the turn in Jakarta plus the coach seats on JAL. Cancelled, paid the change fee and took a voucher. Never regretted either cancellation. It's history. Put it out of your mind.

Originally Posted by Ruhr
Hi. I just need to post this to get it off my chest and discuss with people who might understand.

I've done my share of overnight runs to get the elite qualification miles and spending, and I achieved my elite status goals for this year already (United Platinum). I had booked a for-fun, inexpensive getaway (to a city about 1500 miles away) this weekend. The flight was going to leave this morning, with an overnight stay at hotel, return tomorrow morning.

Overnight bag was diligently packed. All set last night. Then I had a little too much to drink. When I woke up this morning, I felt sick. And exhausted. Didn't want to do it. So I cancelled the flight. The fare was less than the change fee, so I'll have to eat that cost. I'm eating the cost of the airport hotel too (non-refundable).

I feel a little guilty throwing it away, but I guess if I really needed this trip, I would have found a way to go (or not put myself in this situation).

Have you done something like this before--just decided not to go on your mileage run? How did you feel about it after?