FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Have questions about baggage compensation? Ask an exAir France/KLM compensation agent
Old Dec 14, 2016, 7:54 am
amenas

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Somehow I think it's more likely that your bag fell from a height onto some kind of spiked structure rather than some lunatic having had a go at it with a screwdriver.

If the holes seem to be regularly spaced on the surface of the case, it might suggest my explanation. If they are seemingly randomly sited, then maybe your psycho-stabber suggestion is more likely.

Did you notice the damage to the case at the airport? Or only after you got home?

Do you have travel insurance?

I may be wrong but doesn't one of these conventions (Montreal?) severely limit the amounts that can be claimed for loss/damage to luggage/contents? You may end up having to supplement any airline compensation with that of your insurer.
Indeed 3 holes on a back side are almost evenly spaced and in a line, so it could be some kind of structure, but spikes should be long, very strong and thin. No such structure comes to my mind. I doubt it is possible to stab this way with a screwdriver (it wouldn't come through all these layers), you need something like awl.

It was impossible to notice such damage at the airport. I noticed just completely ripped plastic packing (back pack was packed to the plastic bag in Asuncion at the check-in desk), some scratches and few tiny material irregularities, looked a bit like some thread was puled (these were front/lateral holes). My first thought about these tiny material damages was that it could happen during transportation or anywhere else (e.g. trekking in a forest).

I have noticed all damages just at home, then unpacked everything. At first I noticed just one hole in a jacket and started thinking how and where this could happen on a new jacket. Later checked everything and found every item to be with tiny holes. Rolled back jackets and holes were in line, so it became 100% clear they were made while jackets were rolled (and they were rolled just during this trip while in a back pack). Lastly inspected backpack and found entrance holes. I had no travel insurance.

Last edited by amenas; Dec 14, 2016 at 8:03 am