FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Help me salvage some damaged chocolate (was OMNI Baking Clinic)
Old Dec 12, 2016, 11:50 pm
bocastephen
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Help me salvage some damaged chocolate (was OMNI Baking Clinic)

I'm hoping there is an experienced chocolatier in Omniland who can help me salvage some damaged chocolate. I bought two very large (i.e., Costco) bags of double-dipped chocolate Macademia nuts which I stupidly included in a box of items I sent to myself via Priority Mail. Needless to say, the chocolates in both bags melted en route and turned into a solid mass.

My goal is to redo the chocolate into individual servings, and my thinking is to melt the mass in a saucepan, and when liquid, scoop out some of the chopped nuts and chocolate into little waxed paper cups and let it re-harden into individual serving sizes again.

I know there is a process called 'tempering', but since this is already processed chocolate that I just want to melt and separate, I am curious if I need to follow a special procedure re: temperature, double-boiler or cooking time to avoid burning or spoiling it altogether.