FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}
Old Dec 7, 2016, 12:00 am
JC5280

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
Im not a fan of the BE fares and the idea, but I am happy I will still be able to exercise the choice to buy the regular economy. But is anyone else really annoyed by the dozens of news media outlets reporting that United will begin "charging for overhead bin space"? This has created so many Facebook comments with dramatic outcries of "never flying them again" and "how dare they". Maybe UA didnt do a good enough job at indicating that the regular fares would still be available. I noticed that none of the misleading news articles mentioned this. An easily misled person would believe that this applies to all economy fares. I am not surprised a bit at the reaction though, we as Americans will react first, post about it, and then ignore the full story throughout.

For the record, UA is attempting to clarify on their Twitter responses that they indeed are NOT charging for bin space. But I am annoyed nonetheless about this. I kind of feel bad for UA, this has turned in to a PR mess. No doubt they will need to address this directly, with a video from Oscar, or new campaign.